Secondary Assistant Principal Middle School (m/f/d) - as leave cover - internal applicants only (20SA002)
"THE POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED"
Start: 01 March 2020
Contract:Time limited until 31 July 2020
Additional Remuneration: Stipend (4,000.00 Euro) per school year
Release Time: 16 periods release time
We are looking for a Secondary Assistant Principal Middle School (m/f/d) as of 01 March 2020.
The Assistant Principal (Middle School) reports to the Secondary School Principal and is responsible for overseeing the academic, social and emotional (holistic) development of students in grades 6 to 8 (the Middle School) at LIS, promoting an environment where all students feel safe, secure and valued. The Assistant Principal is responsible for the day-to-day management, leadership and effective running of all aspects of the Middle School.
The Assistant Principal is a member of the Secondary Management Team (SMT) and Secondary Leadership Team (SLT) and works closely with the Secondary Principal, Assistant Principal (Upper School), Curriculum and Assessment Leader, Teaching and Learning Leader, Head of Student Support Services, Heads of Departments, Form Tutors and teaching staff.
The Assistant Principal may be required to deputise for the Secondary Principal in their absence.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
Set the strategic direction
- Participate in meetings of the Secondary Management Team (SMT) and Secondary Leadership Team (SLT)
- As part of the SMT, work with the Principal and Secondary Management Team to develop the strategy and development plans for the Secondary School
- As part of the SMT, take responsibility for the Middle School components of the Secondary development plan
- Collaborate with the Secondary Leadership Team (SLT) in developing and agreeing the Middle School components of the Secondary development plan
- Develop the Middle School programme to align with the strategy for the Secondary School, meeting the needs of the students and conforming to the requirements of the school’s vision and accreditation standards
- Ensure that all stakeholders (SLT, HoDs, Form Tutors, teachers, students and parents) are informed about the Middle School programme, in particular where changes in content, policies and procedures are taking place
- Work with and support staff members involved in the Middle School, ensuring that they are fully informed of policies, procedures and expectations and that they have access to the support and resources required
- Work with the Curriculum and Assessment leader and Programme Co-ordinators to ensure that the Middle School curriculum and assessment model is fit for purpose and meets the requirements of the Middle School
- Work with the Teaching and Learning leader to ensure that all staff members involved in teaching Middle School students receive support, training and professional development as appropriate
Plan and organise
- Work with the Secondary Principal to produce the Middle School components of the Secondary Development Plan
- Plan and co-ordinate the Middle School pastoral programme
- Ensure that policies and procedures required to support the Middle School programme are defined and implemented effectively
- Work with the Secondary Principal and Curriculum and Assessment Leader in the design and implementation of the Middle School curriculum and timetable
- Work with the Secondary Principal, Curriculum and Assessment Leader and Programme Co-ordinators in the planning and administration of external and internal examinations
- Plan, organise and manage the transition of students from grade 5 into the Middle School
- Liaise with SSS over learning support requirements, IEPs and potential access arrangements for Middle School students
- Work with the Secondary Principal to ensure that the materials and human resources needed to deliver the Middle School programme are in place
Build and sustain relationships
- Liaise with parents, students, teachers and other school stakeholders as appropriate
- Work with Middle School Form Tutors to ensure consistency in delivery of the Middle School pastoral programme
- Work closely with the Teaching and Learning leader and Middle School teachers to ensure consistency in standards and expectation in and out of the classroom
- Work closely with the Curriculum and Assessment Leader, Programme Co-ordinator and Heads of Department to identify students of concern and implement strategies for improving student progress
- Work closely with the Secondary Principal, Programme Co-ordinator, Form Tutors, teachers and Heads of Department to resolve issues relating to student progress in the Middle School
- Work closely with the Secondary Principal, Programme Co-ordinator and Director of Admissions in the application process and integration of new students into the Upper School
- Meet regularly with Middle School Form Tutors to collaborate over the Middle School pastoral programme
- Meet regularly with Middle School teachers to collaborate over the Middle School programme, covering academic, social and emotional progress of students
- Meet regularly with parents to communicate developments in the Middle School
Deliver results and get things done
- Organise and attend all grade 6-8 Parent/Student/Teacher conferences
- Ensure that all administration is carried out, and deadlines are met, in compliance with school requirements
- Ensure students are enrolled in the appropriate Middle School tutor groups and classes
- Ensure the delivery of high quality teacher and Form Tutor reports across the Middle School in line with the Secondary School reporting guidelines and procedures
- Co-ordinate and deliver activities required to support the Middle School programme, including the relevant part of any induction process or day(s), although specific responsibilities may be delegated to other members of staff where appropriate
- Maintain accurate records of students’ progress, behaviour concerns, subject choices and parental agreements
- Maintain and develop an awareness of students’ changing personal circumstances and disseminate information to colleagues where appropriate
- Co-ordinate and deliver Middle School assemblies, and promote and encourage activities which develop the culture and climate of the Middle School and Secondary School as a whole
- Monitor student progress and identify areas of concern, working closely with the Secondary Principal, Curriculum and Assessment Leader, Heads of Department, Form Tutors and/or teaching staff to ensure that the appropriate follow-up is carried out
- Oversee the behaviour management process in the Upper School
- Walk through Middle School classrooms to monitor that programme delivery is in accordance with the teaching and learning standards defined for the Middle School
- Provide information concerning the Middle School programme to other sections of the LIS community, including students, parents, management, teaching staff and the Board of Governors as required, including maintaining an up-to-date Middle School guide and contributing to information sessions for students and parents both during and outside school hours
- Providing information, counselling and guidance to grade 8 students to support them in making appropriate IGCSE and other subject choices for grade 10
- University degree in Secondary Education or comparable education
- Experience as a highly successful teacher of Secondary School students
- Experience as a highly successful trainer of teachers, leader of professional learning, and / or of leading school evaluation systems preferable
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Educational Leadership desirable
- Structured and self-dependent working style
- The ability to challenge situations and a passionate desire to ensure that the students gain optimal experiences in every classroom
- Strong communication and intercultural skills
- Fluency in English language
The LIS strives for equal distribution of gender as well as for diversity.
The position will be filled as soon as the suitable candidate is identified.
Please apply only via our online application tool.
"THE POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED"
Back to list