Facts about LIS
Who we are
- Leipzig International School (LIS) is a non-profit co-educational day school for students from age 1 to age 18, who are part of Leipzig's diverse international community.
- More than 900 students from 70 countries attend school and kindergarten, with the most represented nations after the host country being the United States of America, Japan, United Kingdom, and the Netherlands.
- LIS employs over 190 staff members, from 20 different nationalities.
- The school's two sites are in residential districts in western Leipzig. The Könneritzstraße campus (Primary and Secondary School) is situated adjacent to the spacious Clara-Zetkin-Park and is 10 minutes by public transport from the centre of town on the No. 1 or No. 2 tram. The Leipzig International Kindergarten in Karl-Heine-Straße is a similar distance from the inner city, on the No. 14.
What we offer
- Our language of instruction is English. English as a foreign language is available to those who need it. German is taught both as an additional language and in standard classes following the State curriculum. French and Spanish are also offered as foreign languages in the Secondary School. Additional learning support and varied counselling services are also available to all.
- The Primary School follows the International Primary Curriculum, and the Secondary School the Cambridge Secondary 1 and IGCSE Programme. The gateway to higher education is the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme.
- An in-house nurse provides immediate care and health education.
- Extra-curricular activities include language courses (Chinese, Russian, Arabic, Spanish, French, and Portuguese according to interest and demand), sports, drama, and music lessons.
- The 1880s school building on Könneritzstraße was extensively renovated in 2007 and enhanced by new construction. In addition to more than 70 classrooms equipped with interactive whiteboards, facilities include a large sports hall, after-school care (Hort) facilities and a playground, science laboratories, music and art rooms, an international library, and computer labs. WiFi is accessible throughout the buildings.
- The Leipzig International Kindergarten is a purpose built facility for the youngest children, opened in 2014.
How we work
- We create a safe and stimulating environment in which students can be happy learners, working in partnership with teachers to discover and develop their intellectual, physical, social and creative potential.
- All lessons are guaranteed due to qualified substitute teachers.
- The school year runs from 1 August through 31 July and the instruction takes place from mid-August until the end of June. The school year is divided into three terms. Traditionally there is a mid-semester break in October, a winter break in December, a mid-year break in February and a Spring break in April.
The school also observes the German federal and local bank holidays.
- Supervision facilities for Nursery and Early Years children (Leipzig International Kindergarten) are open from 07:00 until 18:00. The Primary School day begins at 08:30 and ends at 15:00. The Secondary School day runs from 08:15 to 16:00.
- Hort supervision for Primary students: Morning Hort is available from 7:00 until 8:25 each day; Afternoon Hort begins at 15:00 and ends at 17:00. This is covered by the school fees - no extra costs apply.
- We aim to limit class size to twenty students. In many specialist and optional classes, numbers are smaller.