Job Start: 01 August 2019
Location: Könneritzstraße 47, Leipzig, Germany
Contract: Full-time, initially time limited contract of employment for two years, extension possible
Leipzig International School is an independent non-profit day school for students from Nursery to Grade 12. It provides a high-quality international education, conducted predominantly in English, to children of all backgrounds; thereby supporting a diverse community and promoting international understanding. Over 190 staff members from all over the world work together to create a stimulating and exciting learning environment for our children whose families come from over 70 countries. Established in 1992, the school has grown and developed significantly over the past years. It operates at two locations: on Könneritzstraße (School, Grades 1 through 12) and on Karl-Heine-Straße (Kindergarten).
Our excellent academic results, benchmarked against the International Schools’ Assessment and the IGCSE and IB international examinations, are proof of the quality education we provide at Leipzig International School. The school is fully accredited by the Council of International Schools as well as the New England Association of Schools and Colleges.
Are you interested in becoming part of an international team? Do you believe that education is about learning how to become a citizen of the world? Then we are looking forward to hearing from you!
We are seeking a Secondary Principal starting as 01 January 2019 or August 2019 who can lead in the creation of a stimulating and productive learning environment.
As our Secondary School Principal you will be responsible for the Secondary School and for a team of over 50 pedagogical staff members. You will be a member of the school’s Management Team and, as such, share responsibility for the school as a whole. You are accountable to the Head of School, with whom you meet regularly, keeping him informed about decisions and developments in the Secondary School. You need to be ready, willing and able to participate in the classroom, with some timetabled teaching in your specialist subject and occasional cover or supervision duties.
Your main tasks and responsibilities will be to:
- Appraise all team members according to school policy and advise the Head of School on any contractual decisions
- Appoint teachers in the Secondary School in close collaboration with the Head of School and the Human Resources Manager
- Ensure that Secondary staff meets regularly for joint planning and school development
- Be responsible for curriculum documentation, implementation and development in grades 6 - 12 (IGCSE, IB)
- Collaborate with our Primary Principal and staff (grades 1 to 5) on effective transfer to Secondary School
- Advise the Director of Admissions in close collaboration with the Head of School on student applications for Secondary
- Plan and organise parent evenings and conferences
- Meet with the Secondary School Room Parents and encourage parent involvement in the life of the community
- Prepare and oversee budgets for the Secondary school
- Maintain contacts with other international schools in order to facilitate exchanges
- University degree
- Master in Educational Leadership or similar
- Experience in taking a Secondary school to the next level of development would be an advantage
- Organised and independent working style
- The ability to face challenging situations and to change things for the better
- Strong communication and intercultural skills
- Fluency in the English language
- Experience of working in an internationally-minded and diverse school community
What we offer:
- Wonderful students who are interested in learning
- The benefit of ongoing internal and external professional development
- A dynamic and diverse workplace which continues to develop good teaching and learning practices
- An exciting and flexible model of working that effectively supports the needs of students
- The chance to engage in the life of the International School in the beautiful city of Leipzig
The position will be filled as soon as the suitable candidate is identified.